RFE/RL hackathon terms and conditions
By submitting your application for the RFE/RL Hackathon, you agree to accept and abide by the following RFE/RL Hackathon Terms and Conditions.
RFE/RL Hackathon &Eligibility
The RFE/RL Hackathon is hosted and organized by RFE/RL, Inc., registered at Corporation Trust Center, 1209 Orange Street,Wilmington, Delaware 19801, USA, and with headquarters at 1201 ConnecticutAvenue, N.W., Washington D.C. 20036, USA, represented by RFE/RL,Inc., odštěpný závod, with its registered office at Vinohradská 159a, 100 00, Prague 10, CzechRepublic, reg. no. 613 89 269, registered in the commercial register maintained by Prague City Court, section A, file no. 10475 („RFE/RL“).
The RFE/RL Hackathon will take place from September 17th, 2021, 11 a.m. until September 19th, 2021, 8p.m. at Hub Hub, 5 Perlova Street, 1100 00 Prague 1.
Over the course of three days, designers, programmers, and journalists meet to build technology prototypes. The themes that the groups will hack (prototype) around are: Internet freedom. The aim is to offer people and professionals a chance to come together and learn from each other’s successes and failures. Journalists and IT teams get to meet and collaborate, solve problems, share skills and help build better products.
The RFE/RL Hackathon is open to everyone who:
- is at least 18 years of age at the time when Hackathon starts
- complies with these terms and conditions and GDPR information about collecting and processing of personal data of applicants to RFE/RL Hackathon and other GDPR requirements (see here); and
- submitted an application
- complies with COVID 19 requirements (see below)
Participation in the RFE/RL Hackathon is free of charge.
Registration & Selection of Participants
- All applicants must register as individuals before September 16th, 2021. Registration is only possible through the online registration form.
- Each applicant must enter the required information on the registration form. No late submissions will be accepted. Any application containing incomplete, false, erroneous, fraudulent, forged, or tampered material will not be considered.
- RFE/RL will select 50 individuals as participants from all qualified applications on the basis of information provided during the registration. Selection is fully in discretion of RFE/RL. The chosen applicants (i.e. participants) will be notified by a formal acceptance notice via email. The other qualified applicants will receive an email confirming that they are on the waiting list and will be contacted if a slot becomes available. Unqualified applicants will be informed that they were not chosen.
- RFE/RL will form teams from the participants. Teams will be formed before the event and the teams’ members will be notified by email. Formation of teams is fully in discretion of RFE/RL.
- Each team may submit only one entry for competition. The teams have time to work and finalize their entry for the competition from September 17th, 2021, 7 p.m.until September 29th, 2021, 3p.m.
- Selection of the winning entry/entries for the RFE/RL Hackathon shall be carried out by the Judging Panel. This Judging Panel is composed by RFE/RL based on its sole consideration. The Judging Panel’s decision is final and cannot be appealed. The Judging Panel and the relevant selection criteria for the decision will be announced during the designated session.
Ideas & Intellectual Property
- All intellectual property rights in the entries shall remain with the participant(s) who created them unless otherwise agreed with RFE/RL. Participants agree to share their ideas with all others at the RFE/RL Hackathon. RFE/RL does not accept any responsibility to protect participant’s ideas, works and results disclosed or generated during the RFE/RL Hackathon if not agreed otherwise with RFE/RL.
- Participant acknowledges and agrees that RFE/RL or other participants or third parties may have developed or commissioned ideas, works or results that are similar to the entry of participant’s team, or may develop something similar in the future.
- All data sets, hardware and other equipment made available by RFE/RL to participants during or in connection with the RFE/RL Hackathon shall remain the sole and exclusive property of RFE/RL and may not leave the event premises.
Instructions & Behavior
A participant or team may be disqualified for any committed unlawful act. Reasons for disqualification may include, but are not limited to, fraud, any other form of dishonesty, misappropriation or infringement of the intellectual property of others, misuse of RFE/RL intellectual property, and/or any failure to comply with these RFE/RL Hackathon Terms and Conditions.
No technical equipment (computers, servers, etc.) will be provided by RFE/RL. The participants must provide own equipment. RFE/RL will fund the RFE/RL Hackathon, including food and drinks, and marketing material. Also, material support can be provided by partners of the RFE/RL Hackathon.
RFE/RL shall not be liable for any damages or claims that might arise or occur during or in connection with the RFE/RL Hackathon, except in cases of intent or gross negligence on the part of RFE/RL. Should the participant in connection with participation at the RFE/RL Hackathon violate any rights of third party or RFE/RL or commit any unlawful act, theparticipant is solely responsible for such action/s.
- All participants must comply with the Covid-19 rules valid in the Czech Republic during the period of RFE/RL Hackathon (thus 17-19 September 2021). The current rules, valid as of July 9, 2021, can be found here https://koronavirus.mzcr.cz/en/.
Detailed information related to data privacy can be found here.
Changes of conditions of the event and its cancelation
RFE/RL is entitled to change conditions under which Hackathon is organized (for example, but not only, having online or hybrid form, i.e. partly online and partly with personal participation), including its cancelation from any reason. RFE/RL does not have an obligation to share reasons of cancelation or change of conditions of the event. In such case no one has right to ask for damage or reimbursement of costs (for more details please see part Liability above).
WebExpo offers 5 free tickets to the winning team. WebExpo events will take place in Prague onSeptember 21-23, 2021